The Proposal!!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012




Hi Loves! Sooo...I have the most wonderful news to share with you! On Sunday, as the sun set over the lake outside in the park, the love of my life proposed to me!! Here's how it happened...

On Saturday morning, my sis and I were out doing a little thrift shopping.  This weekend was J's mother's birthday and we were going to dinner that afternoon. Just a few hours before J and I went to the dinner, he told me his family would also be having a cookout in the park the next day and that he wanted me to get some rest and my schoolwork done (because I am the biggest procrastinator lol), so we could just relax and have a great time at the cookout. I never thought anything of it and I was excited to go and see his family and have fun with them.

I invited my sis to come with us to the cookout (not knowing what was happening), and she said she'd love to come with us and couldn't wait to eat some good bbq. So later at dinner with his family (who have all known for a week!), we ate and had a good time. When we gave his mom her gifts, she looked at me and started crying and thanked me so much for coming to take care of her when she was sick in the spring. I teared up and told her it was no big deal. Looking back, I can now see why she was so emotional. After dinner, she took me to her car to check out what she bought at the mall and I almost told her I'd see her tomorrow, but I wasn't sure if the bbq was a surprise or not so I kept my mouth shut.

The next day, I wasn't feeling too well and was finishing a paper. Diana and I went outside to take pics for the blog and I kept complaining about how tired I was and how I was just gonna throw on jeans and a sweater for the bbq and come home and pass out. She played along but told me I still had to get cute and to put some makeup on and wear a cute blazer. She was supposed to ride with us but said she would just meet us at the park later because her professor wanted her to re-do an assignment.

When Jonah came to pick me up, I kept asking him if he thought I was overdressed and he kept saying,  "no you look beautiful babe".   As we got closer to the park, I told him everyone would have on jeans and sweatshirts or t-shirts and I didn't want to look like I was trying too hard. But as we pulled closer to where his family was supposed to be, I realized no one was there.  The park is full of large grassy areas, shelters, playgrounds, and everything overlooks a large lake.  We drove to the back of the lake to a small parking lot with just a few cars.  He turned to me and kind of stutters and says, "well ya wanna know the truth? There's no one meeting us here cause there is no cookout...we've been talking about having a picnic for a while and I wanted to do something special for you before I start hitting the road for work." The world stood still for a moment,  as I thought, "...that doesn't make sense, we actually have a trip planned...what? Is he??? He couldn't be about to..." but I pushed that thought away and smiled and told him how romantic this was. 

So we get out of the car and walk to a quiet spot in between two trees, just a few feet from the edge of the water.  There were a few people walking around with their dogs, a cute couple laying on a blanket taking pics, and a couple of kids fishing on the dock.  He had three baskets that we carried to the spot and he began to set up our picnic...






Candles, music, wine, and a cute picnic basket!

So we laid out the blankets and he sets out the prettiest china and wine flutes. He lights candles and sets the ipod on a dock to play music. I recognize some of our fave love songs and songs that are special to us from college until now.

First, he lays out a nice salad and I asked if he made it himself.  He said that it was actually from the Italian restaurant where we had our first Valentine's Day date.   When he reminded me that it was the spot of our first Valentine's Day dinner, I couldn't help but cry. Next he pulls out chicken chimichangas from our first date at a local Mexican restaurant and puts it on a plate and we (well just me really), eat it.  After that, I stop and ask him "what are you doing??' and he says "nothing, I just want us to have some food from some of our favorite places and I wanted us to have some romantic time together before I travel for work". Then he pulls out cheese tots from one of our fave late night places from our time together in college and we eat (only me again) it. After that, he pulls out my favorite sushi from our favorite sushi spot and we sample some of that. 

Our fave foods!


He then asks, "Remember the chocolate cake from Ovid's (a cafe/grill on campus), we would eat while studying?" and I get all excited (because I am a fat kid).  He hands me the cake, but stops me before I open it and says "But first...I want you to open this" and as he hands me the tupperware, I see grapes inside so I open it up.  Nestled between the grapes, right in the middle of the bowl is a ring box. I just stare blindly in the tupperware and by the time I look up,  J is on one knee, reaching for my left hand. I'm crying like a baby at this point, asking him what is he doing and if I'm dreaming. With tears in his eyes...on one knee...he asks me to marry him....... and I say "YES!!" over and over. Then he put the most beautiful ring on my finger.


I was so undone, my heart was so full with love for him, that at that moment, I thought it would burst. After we kissed and held each other, he tells me to turn around as he points at the lady I thought was taking pics of her boyfriend, and tells me she was actually taking pictures of us the entire time! Then I just completely lose it! He knows how important pictures are to me and he was so thoughtful to hire a photographer to capture the whole thing...(more pics to come!!!)


I had the goofiest joyful smile after he proposed!

On that blanket, in that park, under that beautiful sunset, next to that lake, my life changed forever.  I love him with all my heart, I thank God for blessing me with him and I can't wait to spend the rest of my life with him!!
The surprise spread his mom, sister, and my sister put together to surprise me after we left the park. I walked into his house to see his whole family, my sister, one of my best friends and her husband and friends sitting there waiting on us and the waterworks began again! Every single one of them were in on it and kept it from me!! My sis knew everything!! She is a great actress loll!~

The beautiful sunset was the perfect backdrop...
We're Engaged!!
I will be back to my usual posts about style & fashion soon along with that Fall Lookbook, but I felt like basking in and sharing the most beautiful moment of my life with you! Hope you enjoyed!

Have an amazing day!

64 comments:

  1. Chioma, what an awesome story and I'm so happy for you two!!!!! Congrats!!!! You look so beautiful and happy and I can't wait to follow your live/wedding story. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah this is so beautiful. What an awesome proposal, good job J! Congrats to you. So sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations, girl! That is SO EXCITING! And the ring is absolutely gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so awesome, it brought tears to my eyes!!! Im so happy for you guys, congrats to you and Jonah!!! :) May God continue to bless you guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations!!! I truly enjoyed reading the recap. I felt like I was there with you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't tell you how much I enjoyed your blog today. I'm a big fan of love.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations dear!
    this was such a beautiful proposal *sniffs

    ReplyDelete
  8. WOOOOOW!!! Congratulations!!!
    Wishing you all the love in the World!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Awe that was so sweet and thoughtful. He did a great job! Your ring is beautiful!

    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  10. OMG!! This is such a beautiful story!!! Best wishes to you an J!! Congratulations! I love seeing people in love...it gives me hope that I will find mine one day :).

    ReplyDelete
  11. Omg aweee this is the sweetest thing everrr. Lol i just got all emotional.. I can't believe the couple were actually the photographers! Congrats again, Sissy! :))

    ReplyDelete
  12. Omg!!!!! this is just amazing ... he gets a A+ for this wow submitt your pictures to essence. com I know you all will be chosen just perfect dear I wish you two the best in your new life together .. Advice someone gave me 11 yrs ago , Marry the person standing i n front of you not who you want them to be :) and I promise you will have a happy marriage :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Loved it! And you think YOU had a goofy smile?! You should have seen my face as I read this!

    ReplyDelete
  14. YAyyyyyyy!!!!!! What a great way to share your joy. Thanks for letting us be apart of it.

    Totally Obsessed xoxo,

    Love Collins Custom Clothier
    #BLMgirls

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratulations! That's a fantastically romantic story. Wishing you guys good luck in your life as Mr. & Mrs. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations!!! I love how he brought food from all the places that meant something to you guys as a couple - and beautiful ring too!

    Jess - J's Style
    fancypants514.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. I got so teary-eyed reading this! So sweet and thoughtful of him. Congrats to the both of you :)

    xo,Cortnie
    http://stylelustpages.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aww. Perfect story and ring. :-) Congrats!!!! Happy planning.

    ReplyDelete
  19. how exciting and romantic! congrats. you guys are a beautiful couple.

    ReplyDelete
  20. CONGRATS! So exciting, and what fab photos to remember such a beautiful moment!
    XOXO
    -Daisy Nguyen from PS BANANAS fashion blog:
    http://psbananas.com

    ReplyDelete
  21. How romantic!!! Congrats!

    Typhanie
    www.mygarmentsofpraise.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congrats!!!! J is romantic... I love the orange blazer on you!!

    ReplyDelete
  23. that was so beautiful to read and just to know there are still men out there that can be so romantic and aware of the queen that they have before them, u r his queen and that was the most beautiful and happy story i have read in a long while. CONGRATULATIONS sis.

    ReplyDelete
  24. YESSS, I am so happy for you!!! Ahhh, what a romantic proposal and girl, your ring is gorgeous! Congrats and enjoy every moment! :)

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  25. Beautiful, simply beautiful! Congrats on you all engagement.

    ReplyDelete
  26. That was SOOOOO wonderful and beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Aww, what a sweetie pie!! Congrats to you both!! Many blessings for a wonderful marriage! #BLM girl

    ReplyDelete
  28. Aww tear tear tear Chioma... That was absolutely beautiful!!! I am so happy for you and Jonah. I hope I'm invited to the wedding!

    Renata

    ReplyDelete
  29. OMG this gives me hope haha, this is the sweetest thing i've read and I'm over here sadfaced and teary up, happy that found love like this exist! All the best to the both of you!

    ReplyDelete
  30. That was beautiful!!! Congrats!! wishing you both all the best and a lifetime of happiness!!!

    ReplyDelete
  31. That was such an awesome proposal. Best wishes to you too!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. That's so sweet! Congratulations! Looking forward to all the wedding planning

    ReplyDelete
  33. oh my goodness congratulations!
    how romantic!! and I couldn't help but notice your amazing leopard flats


    xo Jessica
    www.newlyloved.com

    ReplyDelete
  34. I am literally teary eyed. My goodness... This was truly beautiful. Congratulations and God bless!

    ReplyDelete
  35. OMG, that is the sweetest proposal story ever. Congratulations!!! Marriage is a wonderful thing ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  36. Very NICE! I love how he paid attention to the details! That's great. I know you will have a great life together! God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  37. OMG!!! This gave me the chills!!! Aww.....love is the best! CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! Your ring is GORG!!!! GOod luck with the planning!

    xo
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  38. Congrats on the engagement! What a romantic proposal. Stopping by from BLM.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I am at work crying while readung this post. Congratulations to the both of you. That was well thought out and very romantic!!! Many Blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Omgggg congrats again!!!! That is Sooo sweet!! To have to photographer there to capture it all was so thoughtful of him! Many congrats and blessings to y'all! Thanks for sharing this joyful occasion!

    Amberly
    #BLMgirls
    asliceofglam.com

    ReplyDelete
  41. How romantic!! I give your man huge props!! Wow!!! Congratulations!!!

    ReplyDelete
  42. Congratulations! I am so happy for you!
    #BLMGirl

    ReplyDelete
  43. Wow... this is a beautiful & amazing LOVE STORY! Congrats you too... May GOD bless you all forever and ever!!!! #BLMGirls

    Xoxo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  44. Congratulations on your engagement!

    ReplyDelete
  45. Ok..so I'm over here tearing up while reading this! That was so sweet and touching! Congratulations!

    Demetria
    wwww.divasthrifttwo.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  46. OMG.. this is the cutest thing I have ever HEARD! How sweet! :) Your ring is GORGEOUS - he did an awesome job. And you look sooooo happy! Congratulations!
    xoxo,
    Nikki at www.bedazzlesafterdark.com

    ReplyDelete
  47. OMGGGG!!! I know this happened a little ago now but I just now have a second to read the whole story. How THOUGHTFUL of your now fiancé and what a great love and life you two will have together. He is lucky to have you and you him. I can't wait to see the wedding pics. LOL!! Too fast??

    Jen
    http://blankwhiteframes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  48. How sweet!!! Congratualtions to you both! Such an amazing story and beautiful pictures to capture the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  49. Thank you all so soo much! I've read each and every comment and it just really made my heart to smile to read your words and share this moment with you! I have the best readers in the world! I'm so excited to start this journey and spend the rest of my life with the love of my life!! <3

    ReplyDelete
  50. Wow! THis was so sweet and so thoughtful. Congratulations and many blessings to you on your new journey!

    ReplyDelete
  51. Awe, how sweet and romantic! Congratulations! :)

    ReplyDelete
  52. Hi Chioma, I'm your newest follower and I absolutely love love love this story. What a sweet surprise. Congratulations! You are so lucky to have been able to document the entire process! :)

    ReplyDelete
  53. My first time dropping by...GREAT LOVE STORY, I cried. Indeed I'm a sucker for LOVE!!! God bless both of you! I 'll stop by again later (LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  54. Oh congrats!!! I'm tearing up right now!!! This was beautiful!!!

    ReplyDelete
  55. Congratulations to both of you. I loved the story of the proposal.

    Your Wisconsin family

    ReplyDelete
  56. This is precious! Congrats, you too are a stylish couple ;)

    ReplyDelete
  57. BEAUTIFUL STORY, MADE ME CRY, THANK FOR SHARING

    ReplyDelete
  58. Awwww, such a beautiful story. Congratulations to you both :-)

    ReplyDelete
  59. Amazing story ! Congratulations and best of luck : )

    xo,
    Cindi
    Breakfast at Cindi’s

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...