Pink Monday...

Monday, October 29, 2012

Happy (Pink) Monday Loves! Today's post is dear and special to me. Since it is October, and National Breast Cancer Awareness Month this post will be less about fashion, as I implore every woman reading this post, to self examine their breasts (here's how) or make a doctor's appointment for a mammogram. In 2009, the Lord called my Aunty Helen home due to breast cancer. She was the most amazing woman I have ever known, second to my mom. She was a woman of God, who loved her family and kids, and had an amazing spirit & personality. She always said she would be my "manager" when I grew up, because she believed I would be a star! :) We would talk about fashion and boys and she truly understood me even at that awkward teenage stage of my life through college. Words can't express how much I miss her but I am at peace knowing she is with God and I will see her one day.

Progress in the Fight Against Breast Cancer:

  • More early detection and effective treatment– Currently, about 70 percent of women 40 and older receive regular mammograms, the single most effective screening tool to find breast cancer early.  Since 1990, early detection and effective treatment have resulted in a 33 percent decline in breast cancer mortality in the U.S.  
  • More hope – In 1980, the 5-year relative survival rate for women diagnosed with early stage breast cancer (cancer confined to the breast) was about 74 percent. Today, that number is 99 percent. 
  • More research – The federal government now devotes more than $850 million each year to breast cancer research, treatment and prevention (compared to $30 million in 1982).  
  • More survivors – Currently, there are about 3 million breast cancers survivors, the largest group of cancer survivors in the U.S. 
Source: here
THE LOOK: | Tweed Blazer: Vintage | Blouse: Thrifted  | Jeans: Gap Premium Skinny | Flats: Target | Clutch: Thrifted | 

Please go get checked ladies, thanks to new treatment, early detection, and research, the survival rates of breast cancer are steadily increasing! I am linking up with Yolo Mondays and my girls from the Bloggers Like Me blog hop for Breast Cancer Awareness, here. #BLMGirlsGoPink
Have an amazing Monday!

43 comments:

  1. I love the pink blazer, you look so pretty!

    xo, Yi-chia
    Always Maylee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for using Pink Monday to share your story about your aunt and the effects of breast cancer. That pink blazer is fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amazing blazer! So bright and beautiful :)

    xoxo,
    Rachel
    Rachel’s Lookbook

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is such a great post, Chioma. It's always good to be reminded about how to keep yourself healthy. I am so sorry to hear about your aunt, but I am glad you have found hope knowing that you'll get to see her again!

    And the pink blazer is great too :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ashley! Knowing that really makes me feel so much better :)

      Delete
  5. That is the most gorgeous color of pink. It looks great with your skin tone.

    I got my mammo earlier this month after a scare. All turned out fine, thank God! This is a great post, thanks for helping raise awareness.

    Alison
    http//www.getyourprettyon.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great color on u luv the collar as well

    ReplyDelete
  7. Chioma,
    It is awesome to read about your tribute to your aunt Helen this week. I attended a breast cancer awareness fundraiser on Sunday for courage to Dare Foundation in Milwaukee (Couragetodare.org). I am a sponsor and Helen was honored among a few and I was still teary eyed. Miss her much as well as she was truly a masrerpiece of God.

    Uncle Chike

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks for reading this Uncle Chike! I know you miss her so much, we all do. I'm so happy you are a sponsor in such a wonderful organization in her honor. love you!

      Delete
  8. How cute is this outfit!??? OBSESSED! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the bright pink blazer! I need to pull mine out and start wearing it!

    www.daisyraeboutique.com
    www.kacieskloset.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. How adorable are you! That hot pink blazer looks amazing! A great way to show your Breast Cancer awareness. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love this look!! The pink blazer is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. This was truly a great post, thank you for sharing the story about your Aunt with us, as well as a lovely outfit. I have a pink blazer just like that I got from the thrift store last year and you have motivated me to FINALLY go get it tailored so I can wear it lol. #BLMGirl

    http://www.fancy-francy.com



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so welcome and thanks for reading it, it meant a lot to me to share it with you all. Please wear it girl! I love that mine is tweed and thick, perfect for this weather!

      Delete
  13. Everything about this is amazing! True inner beauty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything about this is amazing! True inner beauty ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post! In love with your blazer. Thanks for info regarding breast cancer and sharing about your aunt!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love the pink blazer. Just came across your blog and will definitely follow. Also great post on breast cancer. Check out my blog @:

    www.StyleDeLaCreme.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you, Chioma, for so (stylishly) encouraging women to be aware and checking themselves. This is a cause near and dear to my heart!! ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  18. Chioma, that was so thoughtful of you. I miss her dearly; but she's in a better place. Thanks for reminding all of us to take our health very serious. Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you so much for reading this Mommy! We all loved her so much! Love you!

      Delete
  19. *Waving* BLM Girl Blog Hopping...I'm in LOVE with your PINK Blazer!!!!!

    Xoxo
    Lynn

    ReplyDelete
  20. Your outfit is so cute, loving the pink blazer! Glad to have found your blog <3

    Best,
    Colour Me Classic

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this post! So good for girls to think about and have a knowledge of. My mom had BC and so did two of my aunts. I am so sorry about your aunt. She seems like an amazing lady! Love your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Ali! I'm sorry to hear about your mom and aunts, are they in remission? I will def pray for them. You're the sweetest, thanks so much!

      Delete
  22. Great post!!

    Really love your style and posts!!

    A blog like this deserves following!

    Hope to see you back on mine for a peek :)

    Love,

    Janice
    the-fashion-milkshake.blogspot.nl

    ReplyDelete
  23. You look so pretty! I love your natural hair!!!! Makes me want to big chop to a fade...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love your blog! This is a great outfit for a great cause! Love the blazer and shoes!

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is such a CUTE outfit! Love the fun pink blazer, and those shoes are perfect!

    creamyclothes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  26. i love the color of your blazer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  27. this is such a Kute look!!!

    Kéla Walker
    www.kelaskloset.com

    ReplyDelete
  28. Love this outfit and the colour of the blazer suits you SO well! God bless your aunt x

    http://styleofalondontallgirl.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  29. i'm so sorry to hear that. I'm so glad you read the whole post. thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  30. You look stunning and thank you for raising awareness for such a good cause!xx

    ReplyDelete
  31. very cute outfit!! im so sorry you lost your aunty. this is a really great post and i am glad i found you. im your newest follower from the "rolled up pretty"link up. come see me when you have a minute www.kendrakaypahukoa.blogspot.com and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  32. I love how you still stayed fashionable even with this post. Thanks for linking up with he blog hop!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...